Giracci Candied Kumquats-simple and delicious
When using kumquates you can add to drinks as garnish. don’t forget to save the syrup as it makes a great citrus simple syrup for drinks especially Giracci sparkling. The kumquats are great in salads, with pork or chicken to make a marinade or just simply top your favorite vanilla or chocolate Ice cream with these delicious gems! Enjoy with a bottle of GVF Sparkling, Sauv Blanc, ROSE OR PINOT…TAKE YOUR CHOICE OR TRY ALL OF THEM! BON APPETITO!
- Rinse Fruit.
- Depending on amount of fruit put in a saucepan, cover with cold water to top of fruit and bring to a boil.
- Add sugar at 1:1.5 ratio water to sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Pierce each piece of fruit with a paring knife and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes. Remove from heat and leave the fruit steeping in the syrup unrefrigerated for 24 hours.
- The next day bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Follow your canning process and store in cabinet for 1 year.
- Canning again bring to a boil; boil for 3 minutes; remove the kumquats from the syrup and place into hot, sterilized, glass jars; continue to boil the syrup for another 6-7 minutes and immediately pour into jars, leaving 1/2″ head space. Make sure there the seal is clean without sugar and the jar forms a vacuum.
- If canning process not followed cool and store in a glass jar in the refrigerator for 1-3 months.
NOTE: For a special treat. Remove Kumquats from jar, remove seeds, slice like you would slice and orange dip in sugar and leave out to dry overnight. Once dry you can put in a container and refrigerate for use for up to a week. Get out the ice cream and enjoy!